thankful: understatement of the year

Thursday, August 5, 2010

I was clinging tightly to this promise last year:

"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD." Lamentations 3:21-26

I have a hard time writing about this. I think it's because there is SO much to be said and I feel like my words just don't do justice…

Around this time last year, the world revolved around me as I anticipated the beginning of graduate school. Little did I know, graduate school would be the last thing on my mind. A year ago today, my mom's hospital journey began. It was also the day that I would start to trust in the Lord more than I ever had. My family and friends were shown miracles (plural) that would lead to a deeper faith and understanding in God than I ever knew possible.

I remember one early morning, when the intensivist’s first words encumbered some muttering of ‘Terri Schiavo’ and ‘vegetable.’ I don't even know what he said for sure. Those were the two words that stuck out. I stood up before he had finished. "You can't say that," I said. "It's only been a couple of hours! You can't say that!" I walked out of the tiny little room. My dad followed me. He hugged me tightly and said, “Katie, our God is a BIG God. That man is just a man. He is knowledgeable, but our faith is in the Lord.” I’ll never forget those words. I wonder sometimes how my mom impacted that intensivist. I would like to think that when he sits down with a distraught family, he’s not so quick to name-drop ‘Terri Schiavo’- because he too, witnessed miracles.

Not only was I shown the amazing power of Christ, but I was reminded of the intense love of our friends and family. I always knew my mom was loved, but WOW. Friends and family stepped in and cared for her/us in extraordinary ways… sitting with us at the hospital, bringing meals, researching doctors, painting my mom’s room at our house because they knew she was planning to do it that summer, mowing my grandma’s lawn because my dad typically did, checking on our dogs, cleaning my parents house, taking care of my mom’s classroom, helping Megan move into the dorms…. a list that could go on forever. What a great community my parents have.

My mom’s journey has revealed my desperate need for the Lord. It also reminded me that God intends for us to do life together. We can’t do it on our own.

The start of graduate school will be much different this year…

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I remember those days and those phone calls from you where I could barely make out any words. I remember the phone calls that brought us to our knees in prayer and then the ones that made us stand up and rejoice! What a miracle, what a BIG God! Love you!